Roasted Purple Sweet potatoes
Purple sweet potatoes have quickly become a staple in my meal prep because of their taste (YUM!) and nutritional properties. Also known as Okinawan sweet potatoes, they possess the benefits of regular sweet potatoes AND are packed with antioxidants.
Fair warning – these don’t taste like your typical sweet potatoes, but I actually like them better! Play around with your choices of seasonings to see what you like best. I prefer a little dried rosemary, garlic salt, and ground pepper. Also, I bake these in bulk to have on hand throughout the week, so this recipe is geared toward that. If you’re only making one or two potatoes, you’ll want to decrease the bake time.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Cook Time: ~30 - 40 minutes
Serving Size: As many as you want (I usually cook 5-8 potatoes at a time for meal prep)
What You'll Need:
- Purple sweet potatoes (as many as you choose)
- Coconut oil spray (or another oil spray of your choice)
Spices & herbs of your choice (my faves are rosemary, garlic salt & pepper)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Chop sweet potatoes into strips about ¼ - ½ inch thick & 2 – 3 inches long. These potatoes are oddly shaped, so some strips won’t be perfect.
- Spray baking sheet with a light layer of coconut oil. If not using an oil spray, wipe a very light layer of oil on the baking sheet. Too much oil = soggy taters.
- Place potatoes on baking sheet – do not stack potatoes (the potatoes in the picture where thrown onto one sheet after being baked on multiple baking sheets).
- Bake for ~30 – 40 minutes or until soft in the middle & a little crispy on the outside. Flip potatoes about halfway through cook time.
- Remove from oven, cool & serve!